This page will be dedicated to those Soldiers from Racine County that fought during the Civil War.


AUGUSTUS G. WEISSERT - A soldier during the Civil War in Company K, Wisconsin Infantry. In the fall of 1864 he was promoted to Sergeant Major after the Red River Campaign. In Dec. 1864 he participated in the battle of Nashville against Confederates under General John B. Hood. He was seriously wounded in the thigh during the 8th Wisconsin's second charge on the enemy's line.

(Submitted by Joan Johnson, his Grand Niece)
Henry COMPTY/COMTE, born 1833 Bern Switzerland. He was a Blacksmith and farmer. Wives, Mary Limmon, Mary Haley, Cironia unknown.

Henry served in CO. K., 1st Heavy Artillery, from September 17, 1864 until he was mustered out on June 26, 1865.

Contributed by Jan in Texas.

The Colonel's War Record
Contributed by Henry Sutliff

In speaking of Col. St. George, the Milwaukee Sentinel says: "A man with a circle of friends hardly limited by the boundaries of the state passed out of this life at Racine Saturday night-- a man with a proud history as a soldier, as a citizena and a public official. Everyone was Col. Thomas St. George's friend. His popularity with his neighbors began with the War of the Rebellion, when with 119 other young unmarried men of the Belle City of the Lakes he shouldered a musket and started for the front.

Col. St. George was in the thickest of the fight at Bull Run and in other battlesIt was not until the fierce conflict at Gainesville that he felt the sting of a rebel bullet. He was with the Belle City Rifles which was mustered into service with Co. F of the Second Wisconsin, and that Regiment was in the first brigade, first division, and the first army corps -- the iron brigade. The Racine boys were under a galling fire for some hours on Aug. 27, 1862, and many of them died on the field. St. George was shot through the head, a minnie ball passing through his right jaw, and coming out of the left, lacerating his face and tongue in a frightful manner. He was left upon the field for dead, there apparently being only a weak spark of life left, which his friend thought would soon go out. Sam Manderson and Charley Hurlbut of St. Geroge's compnay were also wounded, but not as seriously. It was five days before the ambulances with a corps of men came upon the battlefield to pick up and bury the dead. St. George had been lying on his back all this time and with the hot August Virginia sun burning his face without water, without food or medical aid,the flies the while making such progress as they could upon the wounds on the half unconscious man. He was a pitiful sight when the soldier grave diggers found him. The spark of life was still flickering and he was thrown into an army wagon with the bodies of his fallen comrades. He managed to crawl upon the seat with the driver, but his wounds were too much even for the government mule skinner, and he pushed the half dead soldier off upon the ground. This seemed to kindle the spark of life in young St. George, for, as he struck the earth his right hand clinched a heagvy boulder which he hurled at the driver. He was finally taken care of, but it was not supposed he could live. He pulled through however, and was taken to Washington in safety. For over a year he was unable to utter a word. He was the first private in the army to be discharged for disability by Secretary of War Stanton, by request of Thomas Falvey, his uncle, who was at that time a man of great prominence in Racine.

Sam Manderson told a story yesterday in connection with Col. St. George's experience at Gainesville which above that all Confederates were not of the stamp of General Wirz of Andersonville. "While Tom was lying upon the battlefield," he said, "I did not know him, although he had been at my elbow, you might say for months. He was a terrible sight to behold. I knew he was one of our boys, and that was all. When I approached him, although wounded myself, he managed to indicate that he was famished, and I thought, I don't know why if I could only get a piece of meat for him -- we were on very short rations at that time and had no meat -- that he could be saved. As I was meditating, who should come along but a "reb". I had a golden dollar, a pocket piece, and I produced it saying: "If you will get me a piece of meat as big as my fist for this dying man and cook it, I will give you this dollar.' The reply was that he would furnish the meat if I would keep the dollar, and it is needless to say that we came to an agreement then and there. I soon had forced the meat into Tom's throat and he swallowed it. I believe this kept him alive until he was picked up, though it seems almost a miracle that he should live so long, suffering as he was."

Col. St. George eventaully became bookkeeper for the J.I. Case Threshing Machine Company, after which upon the election of Ernest G. Timme, of Kenosha, to the secretaryship of state, he became chief clerk in his office. This position he held for nine or ten years, during which time he was a conspicuous figure around the capitol at Midison. Ne man in the executive department of the state was better known or better liked. He was a letter writer of execptional ability, and not a few of the most important state documents during Mr. Timme's term of office came from the pen of Col. St. George. When Mr. Peck was elected Governor he came ot MIlwaukee, remaining here a year or more as secretary of the Bradford Manufacturing Company with an office in the Loan and Trust building. He then embarked in the fur business in Chicago, a venture said to have been unprofitable, and a few montha ago he returned to Racine where he had been enjoying the company of relatives and friends. A fall upon the sidewalk last WEdnesday gave him a death blow -- a trifling mishap, apparently, when compared with the one he met thirty years ago at Gainesville.

A large delegation of the members of the Madison G.A.R. post, which he belonged, as well as the Racine posts, will attend. Col. St. George's life was insured for $3500.00, and he owned some real estate, all of which, a few hours ago before his death, he left to his Racine relatives. His father and one brother live in California, another brother in Kansas City, a sister Mrs. John Donald, in Racine, and another Mrs. Charles Thompson, Union Grove.

Racine Weekly Journal
22 Feb. 1893

Racine County Home Page