These Bios were found in Wisconsin, in the United States.
Town of Genesee
JOHN HOOD, farmer, Sec. 31; P. O. North Prairie; born March 30, 1818, in Abernethy Perthshire, Scotland; has made farming his life-long occupation; in 1846, he removed to Durham., England, and resided there as a farmer fifteen years; here he married Miss Catherine Reid, a native of Auchtergaven, Perthshire; the family came to America in 1861, Mr. Hood buying his 160-acre farm of Mr. Murray; the buildings were a poor frame house and poorer sheds; eighteen years of well-directed toil and calculation on the part of this sturdy Scotch couple have wrought many changes; the elegant two-story farmhouse, with hip roof and modern fixtures, and substantial barns, tell the story better than we can; no more homelike place can be found in the county. There are four living children, all born in the County of Durham, England – Francis, Peter S., Catherine, Jennie A. and Marjory W. (Mrs. William Perry), died Dec. 27, 1877; Peter S., married Miss Sally Drew, of Milwaukee, and is a practical engineer in that city; Catherine is the wife of John Burnell, Jr., of Mukwonago; the eldest and youngest of the children are on the homestead; the family belong to the Genesee Congregational Church; father and sons being steadfast Republicans; the second reaper (an Esterly) used on North Prairie was by Messrs. Hood & Shultis, 1862.
WILLIAM HORNE, blacksmith, Genesee; born Aug. 29, 1817, in Leslie, Fifeshire, Scotland; at seventeen he began at his trade, working in Scotland until 1842, when he came to America and to Milwaukee, being the third or fourth blacksmith to locate there, doing much work for Byron Kilburn, a personal friend. Married in Milwaukee Jan. 1844, Miss Mary, daughter of David Johnston (see biography of William Johnston); her mother died in Scotland, leaving her in charge of several younger brothers and sisters; her father, one of Wisconsin’s best-known pioneers, died in Madison, Wis., about 1857. Mr. and Mrs. Horne settled in Genesee, 1852, building the first, large frame house in the village, then known as “the house with the green blinds,” and which, with its recent improvements, is a most pleasant home; Messrs. Horne and William Johnston built the large stone shop at this time, where the sturdy old Scotch blacksmith has, by honest labor with his hammers, earned the means so usefully spent in educating his children – M. Jennie, the oldest, is now Mrs. John McVickar; M. Elizabeth is now in Iowa, William H., one of Nebraska’s live farmers, while John F., a graduate of Beloit College, has since spent a year at Yale, and one at Andover, Mass., from which theological school he will soon graduate; he is the first native of Genesee, to enter the Christian ministry; Annie I. will also graduate from the State University of Wis.; Alice, the youngest, is with her parents; the family are members of the Congregational Church of Genesee; Mr. Horne always refusing office, is a Republican.
WILLIAM JOHNSTON, proprietor of the Genesee Quarry, is a native of Glammis, Forfarshire, Scotland; from 1818, began life at 18 in serving a four-year’s apprenticeship as a stone-cutter; emigrated to the United States in March, 1842, reaching Milwaukee in November; while on the road west of the town one morning in January following, he met Silas Remington, with a cart and four oxen, drawing a load of limestone; conversation ensued, by which he learned that the stones were from Mr. R's farm in Genesee; this was the first load of building-stone drawn into that town; Elisha Starr, having established a newspaper there, made inquiries about a suitable imposing stone, and was referred by Messrs. William Sevier and Johnston, to the Genesee stone; in search of such a stone, Mr. J.’s first visit was wade to the quarry in company with Mr. S. that month; 'they found a bluff or ledge of limestone at the top of which Mr. Remington had taken out a few loads of stone; the gray, moss-grown edges of which peered through the side of the bluff here, about 18 feet high; a stone was selected and made a part of Mr. R's. second load to Milwaukee; Mr. Johnston and his father cut and polished the imposing-stone, and cut the remainder of the load into grave-stones; it is thought that the stone spoken of was the first one used in the Sentinel office; during the next two years Mr. J. bought stone of Mr. Remington, part of which were used in the construction of the first stone buildings in the town. In 1844, Messrs. Johnston and Thomas Cook, an Englishman, bought the quarry, doing business a number of years; Mr. Cook selling his interest, removed to Waukesha, and finally to Milwaukee, where, as senior member of the firm of Cook & Hyde, he is doing the best stone business in the city; Mr. Johnston has sold this famous stone in all parts of Southeast Wisconsin, and thousands of bushels of lime, it being for years the only one open in that part of the Northwest, and no man is better or more favorably known here than he; a Republican, he has ever refused office or honors; married Miss Margaret Kidd, of his native parish; by whom he has seven children; William K. Agnes L., Anne, Mary J., David, John F. and Nellie E. The quarry is now in charge of the eldest son, his brothers working the 140-acre farm owned in connection with it.
THOMAS STEEL, M. D.; Genesee; born in Inverkeithing, Fifeshire, Scotland, Nov. 9, 1809. Dr. Steel was educated in the public schools of Glasgow, Edinburg and London; began the study of medicine in London, about 1828. graduating as physician and surgeon from Glasgow University, 1833; the Doctor made his first voyage to America the following year, visited Canada, and went from there to New Orleans, from which city he returned home; the next two years were spent by him as Surgeon on board an East Indiaman; he also resided six months in China; returning to London, Dr. Steel, in 1843, came to America for the second time, and has since been a resident of Genesee, first locating on land now owned by Mr.
Hasler, a mile west of the village; he began as one of the pioneer physicians of Wisconsin, was provided with all needed instruments, though his drugs, etc., came from Milwaukee; Dr. Wright, of Waukesha, and himself, were then the only physicians in Waukesha County. The Doctor married, in Milwaukee, Wis., in 1844, Miss Catherine Freeman, a native of London, England, by whom he has had eight children – James. who died of yellow fever in the United States naval service; Thomas, a resident of Genesee; Annie and Lillias, teachers in Milwaukee; Catherine, with her parents; John, a graduate of Beloit College and a teacher; Alfred, now in Beloit College; and Andrew (a student in Milwaukee). Dr. Steel is a Spiritualist in religious belief, and liberal in politics; served one year, and has since refused all office; suffice it to say that he has, during his thirty-seven years’ residence here, had all the practice he has desired, and, though not seeking it, still continues to minister to the afflictions of his fellow-men.
Town of Merton
JOHN FERGUSON, JR., a leading citizen of Stone Bank, is a native of Perthshire, Scotland, was born in Loafargan Sept. 4, 1825; in 1842, he came with his father, John Ferguson, Sr., who is still an honored and esteemed citizen of Stone Bank, to this country, locating the same year in Stone Bank, Waukesha Co:, Wis. In August, 1850, he married, in Jefferson, Wis., Miss Ann Reynolds, a native of Medina, N. Y.; they have three children, William, Zelman and Josephine. Mr. Ferguson has, at various times, been chosen by his fellow-citizens to fill official positions; he was elected five consecutive terms Chairman of the Merton Town Board of Supervisors, and was a member of the said Board for more than eight years; he was Town Assessor several terms, and has filled various school offices, and has, at all times, taken a deep and active interest in the advancement of every public enterprise that gave promise of general good, and is deservedly very popular. He owns a valuable farm of 157 acres, very desirably located and finely improved; he has been engaged in the mercantile business in Stone Bank, and has been identified with the growth and prosperity of many business enterprises in that village for nearly forty years.
JOHN MITCHELL, farmer, Merton; was born in the Parish of Galston, Ayrshire, Scotland, Nov. 19, 1823; received a good education in his native county, and in 1842, he crusaded the Atlantic to Livingston Co., N. Y., where he remained until 1849, in which year he came West; settled in the town of Lisbon, Waukesha Co.,Wis., residing in that town and in Merton until 1853, when he remove to New Lisbon, Juneau Co., Wis., purchased a farm and engaged in farming there until 1855, when he bought his present home in the village of Merton, being a resident of that village since; Oct. 2, 1849. he married in Castile, Wyoming Co., N. Y., Miss C. A; Lovejoy, a native of White Creek, Washington Co., N. Y., born Jan. 7, 1825; they have two children, viz., Jennie, born in Lisbon, Waukesha Co., Wis., Nov. 11, 1850, is now the wife of Henry Kuntz, proprietor of Poynette Upper Mills (flouring), Columbia Co., Wis.; Willie, born in Merton, Jane 17, 1864. Mr. Mitchell has been more than ordinarily successful in life; be owns over 400 acres of land in various portions of Wisconsin, besides a great amount of other interests; he has filled the position of Notary Pablic since 1865, was Justice of the Peace ten years, and has been at various times selected to fill other public offices.
THOMAS REA, farmer, Sec. 28; P. O. Hartland; is a native of Scotland, and was born in Forfarshire on the 12th of March, 1819; Sept. 31, 1841, he married in his native place Jeannette Cooper; she was also a native of Forfarshire, born in 1820. They came to this country in 1841; lived in the city of New York until the autumn of 1848, when they came to Wisconsin and settled in the town of Merton, where they have since resided. They have seven children; James, their elder son, is engaged in the mercantile business in Waseca Co., Minn.; David, second oldest son, is engaged in farming in Minnesota; George, third son, is in Hartland, this county; Abner, the fourth son, is also living in Hartland; the fifth son, Gideon, lives in Merton; the sixth son, Thomas, is a painter in Milwaukee; Orrin, the seventh, lives in Merton. Mr. Rea’s farm is pleasantly located and finely improved; himself and wife are leading members of the Presbyterian Church; he is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Town of Oconomowoc
ALEXANDER COYLE, farmer, Secs. 10 and 11, was born in the city of Glasgow, Scotland, June 8, 1819; his father, William Coyle, was a native of Ireland, his mother, of Scotland. At the age of 20 years, he, with his parents, came to America, and located in County Bathurst; Canada West, where he made his home till 1843, when he and his brother James came to Waukesha Co., Wis., and, cutting their way through the woods from Okauchee to Mapleton, made a claim to his present farm of 320 acres, and also to the 200 acres in Sec. 2. They had considerable trouble with one Richardson about
jumping their claim and getting others to claim that in Sec. 2, but in the spring of 1844 Mr. Coyle returned to his father’s, in Canada, and got money, with which to enter the land, which after much annoyance, settled the case in court. Mr. Coyle has since lived on his farm in Secs. 10 and 11, and now has 210 acres. He was married Sept. 6, 1847, to Catharine, daughter of James and Mary Butler, a native of Canada, but her parents of County Wexford, Ireland; their children are Helen, born July 2, 1848, now the wife of John Quissee, and lives in Concord, Jefferson Co., Wis.; Mary, born Feb. 7, 1850, now lives in Minneapolis, Minn.; William, born May 6, 1852, now in Oconomowoc; Anna, born May 24, 1854, now the wife of John Fay, and lives in Vernon Co., Wis.; Alexander, born April 10, 1856, now
in Leadville; Charlotte, born May 7, 1858, still at home; Peter, born Aug. 2, 1860; Mrs. Coyle died Dec. 10, 1865. His second marriage was Dec. 26, 1866, to Miss Jane, daughter of Bernard and Jane Dugan, a native of County Antrim, Ireland, born Feb. 1, 1838; she came to Philadelphia in 1859, and to Milwaukee, Wis., in 1861; their children are Josephine, born Dec. 6, 1869; Elizabeth, born July 6, 1871, died March 18, 1872; Joseph, born Dec. 22, 1872; Catharine, born Dec. 11, 1874, died April 6, 1878; Elizabeth, born July 20, 1878; Catharine, born Dec. 7, 1879. Mr. Coyle's family are members of the Catholic Church.
J. SMITH HASTINGS, The name Hastings is of an illustrious family in history. The race to which, it applies is of Danish origin. In the early days of the British Kingdom the Danes made frequent incursions upon that part of England and Scotland bordering upon the North Sea. It was in one of these incursions that Hastings, a Danish chief, made himself formidable to Alfred the Great, by leading a large body of men upon the coast. He took possession of a portion of Sussex, and the castle and seaport were held by his family when William the Conqueror "landed in England, and they held the crown for many generations.” The grandfather of our subject was born in England May 20, 1746, and came to America prior to, and was married in, 1769, to Hannah Billings, of Amherst, Mass. He was a soldier in the Revolution, and afterward located at Amherst. This is the origin of the Hastings family in America. His parents, Lucius and Olive Smith Hastings, located in the town of Amherst, Hampshire Co., Mass., and raised a family of six children four sons and two daughters. The daughters now live in Massachusetts – Sarah S., in South Deerfield, and Sybil W., in Hadley, Mass. Our subject was born in Amherst, Hampshire Co., Mass., Sept. 18, 1818, and came with his brother David to Wisconsin in November, 1842. His brothers Horace and Hamilton came in the following June. He located on a farm on Sec. 30, town of Oconomowoc, Waukesha County, where he made his home for two years; then removed to the town of Ixonia, Jefferson County, and engaged in cutting heavy timber for awhile. He was Assessor of the towns of Concord and Ixonia before their separation, and was one of the Board at the time of their divisions. He, with his brother Hamilton, who lived on an adjoining farm, built the Maple Grove House on the plank road from Milwaukee to Watertown in 1850, and two years later he bought his brother's interest and ran the house alone for awhile. Trading the hotel at Maple Grove for property in Watertown to Mr. John Gibbs, he returned to Massachusetts for the winter, but came again to Wisconsin in the following spring. He began merchandising at Rock River, Rock County, and Pipersville, Jefferson County, which he continued for six years. He then engaged in the manufacture of saleratus till 1863, when he sold out and engaged in agriculture in Rock County till 1867, when he returned to Oconomowoc, and has since lived a more retired life. He was married at Ashfield, Franklin County, Mass., June 26, 1839 to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Lewis and Susannah (Hooper) Chamberlin, a native of Stockbridge, Mass., born Aug. 11, 1820. Their children are Ellen M., born at Ashfield, Mass., Dec. 1, 1841; married to Calvin W. Burns, of Watertown, Wis. Sept. 26, 1860; lives now at Lime Springs, Howard Co., Iowa; Olive L., born at Oconomowoc, Wis, June 26, 1844. married at Watertown, Wis, Jan l. 1861, to William E. Duerdin, and now lives at Ripon, Wis.; Lewis J.. born in Ixonia, Jefferson Co, Wis, May 29, 1846, married Miss Josie, daughter of David Smith, of Rock County, Wis, in August 1866, and now resides in York County, Neb.
Town of Ottawa
DUNCAN MAULE, farmer, Sec. 15; P. O. Ottawa; born May 1809, in Perthshire, Scotland. His early life was spent on his father’s farm and at shoemaking, emigrating to the United States in Feb., 1848. They came via the Erie Canal and the lakes to Waukesha Co. the next May. Unable to pay for a class made in Ottawa, he pulled up stakes and located in Sullivan, Jefferson Co. Beginning here with but little, a ??ke of cattle and a cow, he did good work among the timber of that town. Living in a log house they made steady progress, but, finally, to escape the infection of fever and ague, returned to Ottawa, where Mr. Maule engaged for the next eight years at his trade, and, daring this time he bought 126 acres of his present farm, an old barn and a log house comprising the buildings. The reward of thirty-seven years of well directed toil may now be seen in the village of tasteful farm buildings created by him, the first being a 14x54 foot sheep-barn, wagon and hog house 22x50, and main barn 80x64. His family for over twenty years lived in ordinary frame house, now supplanted by a spacious and elegant farmhouse, built of the famous Cream City brick, this completing a set of farm buildings second to none in his town. Mrs. Maule was Miss Ann B. Reed, a native of Kinross, Perthshire, and married at Saline, Fifeshire. They are members of the Presbyterian Church, of which Mr. M. is a Trustee. Mr. M. is an Independent Republican in political faith.
Town of Pewaukee
JOSEPH WHITE of the firm of Joseph White & Son, contractors and builders, also manufacturers of medicine cases, Pewaukee; was born in the town of Perth, Canada; his parents, Joseph and Mary White, were natives of Edinburgh, Scotland; moved to Lockport, N. Y., where Joseph remained until be was ten years of age; he then came to Milwaukee, Wis., where be lived about three years; at the end of that time he came to Waukesha Co., learned the carpenter and joiner’s trade, in the city of Waukesha; lived in the town of Lisbon (where he had married Eliza Greengo, daughter of Jesse and Mary Greengo, pioneer settlers of that town) most of the time until 1862, when he went East, and enlisted in Lockport, N. Y., in the 23d Independent N. Y. Battery, in which he served until the summer of 1865, when he was honorably discharged; after his discharge, he worked as pattern maker in a manufacturing shop in Lockport, N. Y., until 1871, then went to Chicago, Ill., where he lived until 1876, when he moved to Pewaukee, and since that time has been engaged in building, etc., and has built up an extensive business. Their children are – Jesse, who is in partnership with William in business; Mary, Addie, Fannie, Lizzie, Kittie, Charlie, Hattie and Ernest. The firm Joseph White & Son is a leading one in their line in Pewaukee.
Town of Vernon
JAMES BEGG, farmer, Sec. 12; P. O. Vernon; born in Ayrshire, Scotland, July 15, 1810; when he was 8 years old, his parents emigrated and settled in New York State; here Mr. Begg spent his younger life, and was educated, and married Miss Janet Espie; her parents left Glasgow, her native city, and in 1818 or 1820 settled in New York City, where her father carried on business, and she was educated; they removed to Caledonia in 1829; in 1841, Mr. B., wife and eldest son, settled in Pewaukee, and spent the winter; the next spring Mr. B. bought two eighties or his present farm, one of a Mr. Farr and one of. J. C. Snover, now County Judge; an acre cleared and a log house was all he bought with the farm, which is now one of the best in Vernon, with a handsome two-story farmhouse and substantial barns built on it; Ms. B. was the first Scotchman to vote in this town, and had some exciting adventures with wildcats, etc., in early times; none of the early settlers here saw more of sorrow or heartache; they have had six children, viz.: James, who served as a brave Union soldier, and died after the war; John, the second son, born March 18, 1843, is the only one living, and is now on the homestead; Margaret, the third, and the two youngest Willie and Mary (twins) all died within a few days of each other, in May, 1857, and were buried in one grave; Thomas, the fourth of the children, grew up to manhood, and died Dec. 13, 1866, aged 19; Mr. and Mrs. Begg have been members of the United Presbyterian Church since the organization of the society he serving three or four years as Elder; his farming is most successful, the farm now containing 170 acres Mr. B. says he raised the finest turkeys in Vernon in 1842.
DUNCAN CAMERON, farmer, Secs. 8 and 17; P. 0. Vernon; was born in Caledonia, Livingston Co., N. Y., March 26, 1817; is a son of Duncan A. and Sarah (McCall) Cameron; his father emigrated from Scotland about eighty years ago and his mother a few years later; they were married in Caledonia in 1812 and had ten children – Hugh, Duncan; Mary, Kate, Daniel, Angus, Dugal, Charles, Alexander and Margaret; Dugal and Daniel were both successful physicians in Wisconsin, while Hugh, Angus and Alexander, all lawyers, located at La Crosse, where Angus and Hugh still reside; Alexander and Dugal were both in the U. S., service during the war, Alexander dying at the old Caledonia home while Dugal was drowned in the Mississippi at LaCrosse; Angus has now nearly completed his term as U. S. Senate from Wisconsin. ”Duncan, the only farmer in the family, was the first of three noted brothers to locate in Wisconsin; and was an early settler in Vernon, which he reached in October 1841; he was educated in Lima Seminary, "a good old Methodist school," as he says; his first night in Vernon was spent in Asa A. Flint’s old log tavern, and ten days later he bought his homestead; building a log house he “bached it” until June 19, 1845, when he married Miss Mary, daughter of Porter Daniels, of Manchester, Conn.; she was a most worthy wife, and at her death, Aug. 4, 1879, left him three children – Charles, Jane and George; the eldest is a resident of Yankton, D. T., and ere this is printed will have married Miss Sarah Jakinson, now of Yankton, formerly of Coony; Jane is Mrs. L. Baldwin, a resident of Glendale, Monroe Co Wis; George is now on the old homestead of 180 acres, which is mainly under cultivation, Mr. Cameron is a Republican of Greenback proclivities, and has assessed the town fifteen times; perhaps no one in the county can equal this; he has also eared as Justice of the Peace a number of terms; was one of the founders and a leading member of the Vernon U. P. Church.
JOHN DARLING, farmer, Sec. 12; P. O. Big Bend; is the eldest son of John and Elizabeth (Wight) Darling, and was born May 11, 1824; his mother died in September, 1843, in Scotland, leaving three sons – John, James and Thomas all born in Berwickshire; the father married again to Miss Susan Bertram, by whom he had five children – Peter, David, Elizabeth, Catherine and Andrew; in 1849, the family emigrated, and settled in Vernon, buying the homestead of 148 acres and 20 of marsh; John Darling, Sr., died June 7, 1872, leaving a record which is an example to all; he was a native of Berwickshire, and lived and died a member of the United Presbyterian Church; he was a Republican as are all his sons; his eldest son has proven a worthy successor to the homestead with its substantial house and barns; the old farm was, in early times, a forest, 120 acres now being under cultivation; his stepmother is still with him. Mr. Darling has served twice as Supervisor of Vernon and is one of her substantial farmers.
THOMAS DARLING, farmer and carpenter, Sec. 14; P. 0. Big Bend; born June 13, 1830, in Berwickshire, Scotland, he is the son of John and Elizabeth (Wight) Darling; the family came to America and settled on Sec. 12, in Vernon, in 1849; Thomas Darling learned both the carpenter and mason's trade without help of any kind; he has done most of the mason work on the County Poor Farm, built the houses of William Sharp, W. R. Harris and others, having worked at his trade every summer for twenty years; Mr. Darling spent the winter of 1849 in Ohio and Kentucky, and the next summer in New York; he owns 51 acres in Vernon and a pleasant home. He married Miss Elizabeth Purvis, of Berwickshire, by whom be has six children – Elizabeth, Susan, Crissie, Mary, John and William. Mr. Darling is a Republican and served many years as Supervisor, and in 1872 and 1878 as Town Treasurer; he is a member with his wife of the United Presbyterian Church. (For further history of the family, see biography of John Darling.)
JAMES DARLING, farmer, Sec. 11; P. O. Vernon; born in Berwickshire, Scotland, in 1827; his early life was spent at farming; his father, John Darling, emigrated to the United States with his family in 1849; there being three sons by the first wife, viz: John, James and Thomas; the family settled on Sec. 12, in Vernon, James Darling going two years later to Michigan, working three years in the pineries He married in Michigan, January, 1853, Miss Elizabeth Harris, a sister of W. R.; she we born is Anglesea, Wales, in 1854; he returned and bought his farm of 75 1/2 acres; of this, 20 acres were poorly broken and improved, the remainder being mostly timber and brush; the old log house of this day is replaced by a substantial frame one, and the entire farm reclaimed; Mr. and Mrs. Darling have four living children – John, Rowland. Jennie and Thomas; the first born, a daughter Elizabeth, married Willow Killips, and died in 1872. Mr. Darling and wife are members of the United Presbyterian Church, be having united at 18 years of age, and serving many years as a Trustee; he is Independent in politics and was twice elected Town Treasurer on the peoples' ticket.
JAMES HAY, deceased; born in Perthshire, Scotland; about 1840 (sic), he came to America, and in 1851(sic) married Mrs. Barbara Smith; they soon removed from New York to Wisconsin, Mr. Hay having owned the homestead in Vernon for several years; Mr. Hay built here a small log house, and made a good beginning for his family. He died four years later, leaving four children, all of whom were attacked with that dread disease, diphtherial, and gave up their young lives within a few days; it was a crushing blow to follow death of her husband, but she bravely resumed her Cross, and, ably seconded by her only son, James Smith, made her farm and home what it is. This lady was born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, and married her first husband, Robert Smith, in Glasgow; he died in 1848, after a residence of three years in Livingston County, N Y.; his only son, James, was born in Kilsythe, Scotland; married Miss Jane, daughter of William Evans, and is now in charge of the homestead; has two children – Barbara J., and an infant. A tasteful and pleasantly located farmhouse has replaced the old-time log house, and substantial barns built. His honored mother looks back with a feeling of mingled sorrow and pride over her varied experiences in Wisconsin. She is a member, with Mrs. Smith, of the U. P. Church.
THOMAS HOWIE, deceased; was born in 1811, in Ayrshire, Scotland. In 1886, he married Miss Mary Morton, who was born in 1813, in the parish of Galston, Ayrshire; Mr. Howie engaged for three years in the mercantile business in Kilmaraock, and in 1839 emigrated to America; three years of toil near Inverness, N. Y., enabled him to earn money enough to make a start in Vernon, where he bought a farm of 80 acres, adding 40 and doing good work; Mr. Howie making a never-to-be-forgotten record here, as he was a founder and leading member of the U. P Church, the society being organized at his house; he also donated the site of the church, and was so loved as to make his memory dear to all. As a Christian gentleman of generosity and honor, his death, in 1858, was much deplored. He left five children – Janet, John, Thomas, Matthew and David. Mary (Mrs. James Mais) died a few days before her father; John, one of the 98th W. V. I., died in a St. Louis hospital; Janet is Mrs. John Purvis, of Vernon; Thomas is a farmer and stock dealer at Big Bend; Matthew is a butcher at Sioux Falls; David remaining on the homestead, he having married Miss Ellen McKenzie, of Vernon. The farm of 262 1/2 acres was well managed by Mrs. Howie after her husband’s death, having but little help during the first few lonesome years; as an evidence of her ability we notice the handsome residence and substantial barn built by her.
WM. BLAIR came to Waukesha in December, 1845, where he has made his home ever since. He established a thrashing manufactory, and was in partnership with Archibald McLachlen for five years; they carried on the business in a building which they rented from Wm. S. Barnard, now known as Barnard's shop; Mr. McLachlen was a partner with Mr. Blair for ten years; Mr. McLachlen sold his interest to Amos Smith eighteen or twenty years ago. Mr. Blair purchased Mr. Smith's interest. Mr. Blair has been President of the Waukesha County Manufacturing Company since its organization; President of the Waukesha County National Bank since 1865, he has also been a stockholder and director of the State Bank and Waukesha County National Bank, since their organization. Mr. Blair discontinued the manufacture of thrashing machines about eight years ago; general repair and jobbing business is the principal work done now. Mr. Blair carries on a farm in the town of Waukesha, Sections 4 and 5. Mr Blair was Chairman of the Board of Supervisors for some years, and President of the Village Board many years; has also been State Senator for six years. Mr. Blair was a native of Ayrshire, Scotland, born July 31, 1820, and came to America, with his brother, in 1836, located in Wheatland, village of Mumford, Monroe Co., N.Y., and learned the machinist's trade, with his brother James, and remained here until 1845. He was married in LeRoy, Genesee Co., N.Y., in June, 1847, to Nancy M. Emmons; she died May 20, 1859, leaving three children, having lost two; Frank C. resides in Waukesha, George R. lives on a farm, and Willie G. is a druggist's clerk at Council Bluffs. Mr. Blair was married the second time in Waukesha, Wis., June 23, 1860, to Henrietta A. Emmons, a native of Otsego Co., N.Y.; they have lost one daughter, who died in 1863, and have two children living--Henry E. and Arthur J.
Note--Since the above was placed in type, the following extract from a newspaper has been sent to us: About three months ago our community was shocked to learn that Hon. William Blair was afflicted with a mortal disease. He had been sick for months before, but only those who knew him most intimately had been aware of the extent of his sufferings, and none had any knowledge of the nature of his malady. So fixed were his business habits, that he kept his accustomed way, and so reticent was hi in merely personal matters, that what concerning himself he must have suspected, he never divulged to others, not even his best friends. But the time came when he must succumb; and then it was that the community first learned from his physician that the strong man was rapidly sinking with a cancer in his stomach. * * * Mr. Blair died at his residence in this village, at 6 o'clock on Tuesday evening, July 13, aged 60 years. he was buried by the Masons, on Thursday afternoon, at 3 o'clock.
Resolutions of Respect--At a special meeting of the Village Board, held at the Council rooms, on Wednesday evening, July 14, 1880, the following resolutions, on the death of Hon. William Blair, were adopted:
Resolved. That the Board has learned with regret of the death of Hon. William Blair, for many years a member and President thereof, a member of the Board of Public Charities, and a member of the State Senate.
Resolved. That the loss sustained by the community in the demise of so useful and public-spirited a citizen as Mr. Blair, is one to be lamented by every one, and that, in order to pay fitting respect to his memory, it is recommended that all usual business in the village be suspended during the funeral of the deceased, from 3 to 5 o'clock P.M. of Thursday, July 15.
Resolved. That the Village Clerk be instructed to procure the publication of these resolutions in the public newspapers of Waukesha, and deliver a copy to the family of the deceased.
Resolved. That the board attend the funeral of ex-President Blair in a body.
Resolved. That as a further mark of respect, this board do now adjourn.
H.M. Youmans, President
F.M. Slawson, Clerk
DR. J. R. BOYD was born in Portland, Me., Aug. 13, 1846; reared in Mississippi until he was 14 years of age. In 1860, he went to Europe; returned to Mississippi in September, 1861. The following month, he again left for Europe; he entered school at “The Gymnasiun,” at Aherdeen, Scotland; in September, 1864, he left for India as an assistant manager of a coffee-plantation; from October, 1864,
to May, of 1870, Mr. Boyd remained in India, being manager at the time he left there, bringing with him flattering testimonials from his employers. He came to Wisconsin in April, 1871, located in Watertown, where he remained but a month, and then went to Bloomington, Ill.; was there until November of the same year, when he returned to Watertown and studied dentistry with Dr. Albert Solliday; was with him until the last of February, 1875, then went to the N. Y. College of Dentistry, and continued there two full years, and graduated Feb. 27, 1877, receiving the faculty prize of $100, that being the only prize given for best examinations in all the departments. May 15, 1877, he formed a partnership with Horace Enos, of Milwaukee; was with him eighteen months, then went South for a short time, and July 1, 1879, commenced business here. Dr. Boyd is the son of Rev. Fred W. Boyd, D. D., and Mary
E. (Bailey) Boyd – both living, and at present residents of Waukesha. There are four children in the family living James R., Walter S., Lloyd T. and Charles Mayo.
WILLIAM CRUICKSHANK, retired. Born March 2, 1810, in Aberdeenshire, Scotland; learned trade of stonecutter, in his native country; came to United States in 1836, and spent seven years in York State, engaged either at his trade or as contractor on public works; came West in 1843, and settled in New Berlin, Waukesha Co.; was married, in 1844, to Miss Jane Mathewson, who died in
1852, leaving two children, John and Jeanette. Went to California, after death of his wife, and remained till 1858; then, till 1873, he carried on general farming; since that date his home has been Waukesha; owns a cozy home on Main St.; “never drinks any liquor and attends the Episcopal Church every Sunday morning.” He was educated at his parish school, in Scotland, but soon, by private study, advanced beyond its curriculum; early developed special ability as a mathematician; he has been known for years as maker of “Sun Dials,” one of which is in the Waukesha Cemetery. An intelligent person can spend an hour very profitably in the company of Mr. Cruickshank, for he has pursued an extended course of reading and study, and may, with propriety, be styled a self-educated man.
RICHARD STREET (Supt. Waukesha County Mfg. Co.) was born at Bannockburn, Scotland, Sept. 5, 1825; came to Wisconsin in 1855, and located in Grant Co., near Lancaster, engaged in farming for five years; learned the business of cloth manufacture at Wilson St Bros’. celebrated mills, Bannockburn, commencing at the age of 11 years; continued in the same business all the time, except the five years he was farming; in 1861, he returned to Utica, N. Y., where he remained until spring of 1868, when he came to Racine and introduced the manufacture of the “Badger State Shawl,” in the factory of Blake & Co., that being the first shaw manufactured at that place; continued with Blake & Co., until 1871, when he came to Waukesha, and has been connected with the Waukesha County Manufacturing Company ever since. Mr. Street was also overseer at the Globe Mills, at Utica, N. Y. He was married near Bannoekburn, Scotland, May 26, 1847, to Elizabeth Robertson; she was born about 6 miles from Banncockburn; they have nine children – William, Robert R., Helen D., were born in Sterling, Scotland; John A., Lucy A., Belle J., Richard W. were born in Grant County, Wis.; George W., Charles A. were born in Utica, N. Y. Mr. Street is a member of the Village Board, and is also a member of the Good Templar Lodge, the A. F. & A. M., I. O. O. F. Lodges, the Royal Arcanum and of the Baptist Church.
From the town of Lisbon History:
During the year 1841 and the year following, there was quite an influx of settlers, among whom may be mentioned, Robert James and Archibald Rodgers, John Small, Alexander Harris and a Mr. Moyes, all said to have come from Scotland;
JOHN McRAE, merchant; North Lake; has been engaged in the mercantile business in Wisconsin for nearly 34 years. He was born in Inverness-shire, capitol of the Highlands, Scotland, in 1826. At the age of eighteen be left his native country and crossed the Atlantic to Canada; he lived in Melbourne, clerked in a mercantile house, and had general charge of store until 1846, in which year he came to Wisconsin, and located in Hustisford, Dodge Co., Wis., where he established a general store in 1848, being the second store erected in that town. In 1849 he was appointed Postmaster, and filled that position to the entire satisfaction of the citizens, for a number of years. In connection with the mercantile business in Hustisford, he established an ashery at Hustisford, and one at Mayville, and was extensively engaged in the manufacturing of pearlites and potash for several years; in 1858 he sold out his mercantile business, and in 1861 the ashery. In 1876 be moved to North Lake, Waukesha Co., where he has been engaged in keeping general store; he carries a full line of goods, and, by fair dealing and attention to business, has secured a large and increasing trade. He was married in Hustisford, Dodge Co., to Rachel M. Spear, a native of New Portland, Maine, and daughter of James and Rachel Spear, who settled near Hustisford in 1847; they afterward moved to Waushara County, Wis., where they resided during their life. Mrs. McRae's sister, Miss Mary R. Spear, makes her home with Mr. McRae, and wife.