RAILROADS AND INTERNATIONAL BRIDGE
Taken from the Illustrated Atlas of Sault Ste. Marie by Sauer - 1888
In 1882, while the Detroit, Mackinac & Marquette Railroad was in process of construction, surveys were made for a branch to Sault Ste. Marie. About the same time a branch was strted at Sudburry, on the Canadian Pacific Railway, for the Canada Sault, and a charter was obtained for a bridge to connect the two railroads; but for reasons probably best known to the directors, the Canada brnch did not at that time get further than Algoma Mils, over eighty miles away, and the other branch did not get past the survey. However, in the latter part of 1886, both roads began work on these branches, the D., M. & M. R.R. having been sold to the Detroit, South Shore & Atlantic Railroad; and a road was also started to connect the Canadian Pacific Railway with Minneapolis - called the Minneapolis, Sault Ste. Marie & Atlantic; now the St. Paul, Minneapolis & Sault Ste. Marie Railroad.These roads are all now in operation, and a survey is being made for a road between St. Ignace and Sault Ste. Marie, and the Grand Trunk Railway is pushing towards the Canada Salt. Other roads are in contemplation, but have not yet made sufficient progress to require mention. A contract was also let to Canadian builders for the construction of the International Bridge, which fine structure now spans the Rapids, and has a draw with 398 feet clear opening over the ship canal -- almost the only point on the whole chain of lakes where a draw could be placed with so little impediment to navigation. The total length of this bridge is 3067 feet, the bridge proper consisting of two lattice spans of 104 feet ech over the north channel, and 10 Pratt truss spans of 204 feet each and a plate girder span of 45 feet over Canal Street, all the railroads centering at its termini.
Chippewa County Home Page